EPL 2020: Transfers, Rumour Mill, Gossip, Donny van de Beek, Luis Suarez, Philippe Coutinho, Manchester United, Barcelona
Manchester United are getting closer to securing their first big-name coup of the transfer window and are set to put $73M into the move.
Meanwhile, Barcelona have plenty of headaches to contend with outside of the exit of Lionel Messi and Arsenal are eyeing a replacement for the underperforming Mesut Ozil.
Welcome to the latest Rumour Mill…
Watch European Football with beIN SPORTS and ESPN on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
MAN UTD TO SWOOP ON FIRST BIG SUMMER SIGNING
Reports suggest that Manchester United are closing in on their first big-name signing during the summer transfer window.
Ajax’s Donny van de Beek is in United’s sights and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is understood to be close to securing the Dutch midfielder on a £40m ($A73M) deal.
Van de Beek was left out of the Ajax squad for their friendly with Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday, further contributing to rumblings that a move to the Red Devils is imminent.
According to Sport, Van de Beek has already informed Ajax teammates that he will be travelling to Manchester next week to finalise the deal.
Barcelona are also interested in the Dutch midfielder’s services with their new boss Ronald Koeman a big fan of Van de Beek having already coached him as Holland boss.
However, they are understood to not be as interested in a serious play at Van de Beek due to the high asking price in the midst of the pandemic.
It would leave United in pole position to secure their first big signing of the summer.
Solskjaer is eyeing a boost to the club’s stocks in the midfield with Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes also targets.
BARCA’S $22M TRANSFER HEADACHE
Barcelona have their fair share of problems to deal with on the transfer market at the moment.
If stressing over Lionel Messi’s exit is not enough, they are now negotiating the termination of the contract of Luis Suarez.
Suarez is not needed anymore at Nou Camp but is still training with the squad until a final decision is made.
While Barca have been demanding a £630million ($A1.14B) payout from potential suitors for Messi, they are set to have their own dramas with Suarez.
According to Goal, they will be required to stump up around £12 million ($A22m) in compensation fees if they want Suarez to depart before the season starts.
It is all part of a new era at Barcelona under Ronald Koeman, who is the new man in charge after Quique Setien was sacked following an 8-2 loss to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.
Reports suggest that five clubs have already made their interest in Suarez known.
The Uruguayan striker took to social media last week to address his future.
“There are people talking about me or on my behalf when I have not had a relationship with them for years,” Suarez said.
“When I need to speak, I’ll speak for myself.”
ARSENAL’S HUGE BOOST IN COUTINHO PURSUIT
Arsenal are in the front seat to seal their pursuit of Philippe Coutinho with Chelsea set to withdraw from the chase for his services.
Coutinho has been on loan at Bayern Munich and there has been a transfer battle between the Gunners and Blues for his signature.
Chelsea initially saw Coutinho as a potential replacement for Eden Hazard.
However, their active stance in the player market could work against them with deals for Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell as well as potentially Kai Havertz meaning they don’t have as much room to move as Arsenal.
The Gunners are said to view Coutinho as a fill-in for underperforming Brazil international Mesut Ozil.
Don Balon reports that Arsenal are leading the race after Chelsea pulled out with recent signings meaning Coutinho is no longer a priority or viable target.
Coutinho has fallen out of favour and is a risky choice for Arsenal but the change of scenery could be what he needs to get back to his best.